Git for Windows
Which software package is right when you want git on Windows?
I seldomly install git on Windows. But when I have to, I am always confused which software I have to install i n which order. So I wrote it down:
TortoiseGit Installation Notes
- Install the 64 bit version (32 bit not needed on 64 bit systems)
- Just install, old versions will be replaced
- Use TortoiseGitPlink when asked
msysgit Installation Notes
- Install after TortoiseGit
- Windows Explorer integration not needed (Tortoise will handle that)
- I choose 'Use Git from Git Bash only'
- … and 'Checkout as-is, commit as-is' (my editor will handle LF and CRLF)
In the future, you'll want to have a look at git for windows. That's t he successor to msysgit.
If you are going to use Git with GitHub only, you might want to use the neatly integrated Windows client from GitHub: