Upgrade to Etch
Steps to be performed to upgrade from sarge (amd64) to etch (amd64). I don't explain why a certain step is done - read the manual found at step one. You should know what you're doing!
cd /root && tar czf dpkg_lib.tgz /var/lib/dpkg/
dpkg –get-selections “*” > dpkg.selections
- check wheter there is enough space to run the update
- make sure sarge is up to date (
apt-get update && apt-get –show-upgraded upgrade)
- edit /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect the new repository (e.g.
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian etch main contrib)
- record a transcript of the upgrade session:
script -a ~/upgrade-to-etch.typescript
aptitude install aptitude
aptitude -f –with-recommends dist-upgrade
- decide whether you must or want to upgrade your kernel
/usr/share/doc/mdadm/README.upgrading-2.5.3.gzif you're using software-raid
apt-get –show-upgraded upgradeto see if all packages are upgraded